Maid of Honor Duties
The Maid of Honor has a great deal of tasks that are her responsibility to take care of in addition to providing constant support to the bride. It is a good idea to go through all of these possibilities with the bride prior to beginning the wedding planning process. That way, no one forgets about anything and you know exactly what you need to take care of. The Maid of Honor has responsibilities before, during and after the wedding, as well as has specific responsibilities to the bridesmaids. For information about the Maid of Honor’s responsibilities to the bride, see our page “The Bride.”
Duties to the Bridesmaids
- Schedule all hair and makeup appointments for the bridesmaids. Do this well in advance because you want everyone to get their hair and makeup done all at once (it’s more fun!) and salons need months and months of advanced notice to schedule a large block of time.
- The Maid of Honor should alert the bridesmaids of their hair and makeup appointments, and give them reminders.
- It is the Maid of Honor’s job to make sure all of the bridesmaids are fitted for their dresses.
- Make sure that all of the bridesmaids have obtained their dresses, shoes and jewelry and that they bring them to the ceremony hall.
- The Maid of Honor keeps the bridesmaids informed on all of the pre-wedding parties
- Delegate all of the tasks to the bridesmaids during the wedding and reception. These tasks might include directing guests to their seats, showing people to the restroom, or taking care of any last-minute crises. Your bridesmaids are your helpers.
- The Maid of Honor should ensure that all of the bridesmaids have the correct bouquets for the ceremony.
Before the Wedding
- Help address, stamp and mail out the wedding invitations
- Go shopping with the bride for her wedding gown
- Help the bride choose dresses for the bridesmaids
- Alert wedding guests about what stores the bride and groom are registered
- Help the bride choose venues for the wedding ceremony and reception. Go along with her to tour churches and halls.
- The Maid of Honor should help the bride in ordering and choosing decorations and party favors. Make sure the decorations are in on time for the wedding.
- Host a bachelorette party for the bride. The bridesmaids will provide a lot of help, and can even help the Maid of Honor by co-hosting a bachelorette party.
- The Maid of Honor should keep a record of the gifts and gift-givers at the bachelorette party. You can also delegate this task to a bridesmaid.
- The Maid of Honor helps the bride organize the seating charts for the wedding dinner.
- Attend all pre-wedding parties and events
- It is the responsibility of the Maid of Honor to organize all travel and hotel arrangements for any out of town guests. Don’t forget that once they arrive in town at the hotel, they will also need transportation from the hotel to the wedding and the reception.
- Order all of the flowers for the bride, bridesmaids and best men.
- The Maid of Honor should familiarize herself with the venues where the ceremony and reception will take place prior to the big day–know where the bathrooms are, alternate exits, where guests will park, etc.
During the Wedding
- It is the Maid of Honor’s job to help get the bride to the wedding on time and to help her into her dress and makeup.
- During the reception, the Maid of Honor helps the bride change clothes for her honeymoon. The Maid of Honor is then responsible for the bride’s wedding gown until the bride returns. It should be stored carefully and kept in a safe place.
- The Maid of Honor should keep a record of the gifts and gift-givers from the wedding reception. You can also delegate this task to a bridesmaid.
- Lock up and secure the money bag after all of the guests have arrived and placed their gifts.
- The Maid of Honor has the honor of holding the groom’s ring during the wedding ceremony. HOT TIP: Keep it on your thumb. It’s the safest place because there’s much less of a chance that it will fall off.
- Make sure that the bride’s train and veil isn’t twisted, etc. before the ceremony begins as well as just after she arrives at the altar. The Maid of Honor should also help the bride alter her train for easy dancing at the reception (if the dress calls for it) and fluff/straighten the dress for all photo opportunities.
- Hold the bride’s bouquet of flowers while the couple exchanges their vows.
- The Maid of Honor signs the marriage license as the witness.
- Along with the other bridesmaids, the Maid of Honor should serve as a hostess at the wedding. This means showing guests where to sit, directing them to the restrooms, telling them to where to put the gifts, inviting them to sign the guest book, etc.
- The Maid of Honor dances with the Best Man during the first formally announced dance at the reception.
- Give a toast speech to the couple. This will come in sequence after the Best Man.
After the Wedding
- Help the bride write, address, stamp and mail out thank you letters for all of the gifts from the bachelorette party and wedding reception.